FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

Where is the office and when can I stop by? 

Office hours and location can be found on the welcome page of this website.

What utilities are included in my lease? How do I turn on/off my utilities? 

Included utilities are illustrated in the respective property details contained in this web site and will be stated in your lease agreement.   All necessary utility information (i.e. water, sewer, gas, electric, and cable television services) can be found below.   You are responsible for the maintenance of all utilities stated in your lease for the entire duration of your lease.  

When is rent due? Where do I pay it? To who do I make the check out? 

All rent payments are due in full to the office by the first business day of each month unless otherwise stated in your lease agreement.   You may mail a personal check or money order to our office.   If you are paying in cash or if you require a receipt, please drop the payment off in person during regular business hours.   Personal checks and money orders should be made payable to "Smith Contracting & Apartment Rentals".   The address can be found above.

How long is my lease? 

All leases are for 12 months and run from May to May or August to August.

I would not mind living with someone. Can you help me find a roommate? 

While outside of the realm of standard practices, occasionally we becomes aware of a potential roommate situation and may provide that information to current and potential tenants upon request and consent.    The Office of Off-Campus Housing at Bowling Green State University provides more specialized service for these types of requests.

Where do I park my car as a tenant? Do I need to register it with the office? 

Most properties have ample, lit, off-street parking for your convenience. While registration stickers are not standard practice, you may be asked to provide information pertaining to your vehicle upon signing your lease. This enables tenants to maintain their right to park their vehicles while discouraging potential non-tenant use. In the event you are hosting a long-term guest, be sure to notify the office immediately.

What are the restrictions about gatherings and parties? 

We do not tolerate large parties. This is similar to the position of the majority of landlords in Bowling Green, Ohio. Under no circumstances will keg parties be tolerated. Violation of this rule will result in the delivery of an eviction notice - no exceptions. Remember, you (the tenant) are responsible for all social functions taking place on your property. Should a gathering get out of control, you are responsible for remedying the situation immediately.

Can I have a pet? 

We are a BIG fan of fish - as long as their homes are properly maintained. Cats are acceptable at some properties for an additional and non-refundable deposit (typically $300.00). Unfortunately, requests for dogs or other animals cannot be accommodated. Contact the office for more information.

I have been asked to watch my parent's/friend's pet. What do I do? 

Visiting animals are allowed only for a short period of time and only if they are properly cleared through the office. Failure to notify our office will necessitate arrangements for the timely removal of the animal once it is noticed.

The property I'm renting seems large enough for a more people. Why is there a limit? 

There are a number of reasons why there is a limit to the number of tenants that may occupy a property.  

First is to protect the integrity of the property itself.   We provide some of the most appealing properties in Bowling Green, and this ensures that the properties (and subsequently the lease rates) remain attractive for current and prospective tenants.  

Secondly, the City of Bowling Green has established guidelines regarding the number of people that may occupy a property at any one time (including permanent occupants and guests of social functions) based on the number of egresses within that property.   The limit set for by us must also fall within these guidelines.

My roommate(s) and I are not getting along as we thought. What can I do? 

We must remain uninvolved in personal disputes outside of those illustrated in the lease agreement. While recognizing that there are times when the best of friends don't make the best of roommates, we will gladly aid in the search for a new dwelling for one of the tenants if necessary. Unfortunately, the obligations of the current lease will be enforced unless other suitable arrangements are made.  

I want to move/will be away for the summer. Can I find a sub leaser? 

If you are able to find a sub leaser on your own, we will accommodate your sub leaser. We will offer your sub leaser a lease ONLY for the remainder of your lease and for a nominal releasing fee. If your are unable to find a sub leaser ,we may (at our own discretion) re-list your property as 'available.' If such efforts result in successful subleasing, you will be charge a nominal re-leasing fee, and your responsibilities to the apartment will be dissolved once the new lease becomes fully effective. If neither avenue proves positive, you will still be responsible for your lease.

How do we Recycle? 

The City of Bowling Green has a curb-side recycling program available with garbage collection. A bin is provided to residents by the City for weekly pick up. Contact the City of Bowling Green for more information.

How should I dispose of my trash? 

Some properties offer dumpsters that are available for tenant's use. Other properties utilize curbside pick up provided by the City of Bowling Green. Please contact our office for more information about the garbage removal at your property.

I'm leaving for an internship and will be gone for an extended period. What do I need to do? 

If you wish, you may notify the office of extended leaves that do not fall within BGSU breaks.   While you will still be held to your responsibilities as state in your lease agreement, this allows the office to better handle any situations should they arise.   

Are my belonging insured? 

While we hold insurance for the property itself, it does not cover the tenants' personal belongings. You are encouraged to obtain renters insurance through a private company to cover unforeseen events.



The City of Bowling Green, Municipal Utilities
Electric, Water & Sewer Services
304 N. Church Street
Bowling Green, Ohio 43402
(419) 354-6258
Monday through Friday: 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM  
- Before you move IN or OUT of your apartment or house, you must notify the Municipal Utilities in person or in writing, in their office, one month to at least 3 days prior to when you are requesting service or disconnection.  
- Previous service customers only need to call the Municipal Utilities office
- When you are requesting service,the following information is needed
- Social Security number and Driver's License number
- Your complete name, home address and phone number
- Complete service address (Street number, street and apartment #)
Frontier Communications
For Phone and/or DSL High Speed Internet Service
Columbia Gas
- Click on CONTACT US, then click on "Sign Up For New Service" and follow instructions to fill the form out completely, then click SUBMIT.   You may still need to make a follow up call using this method
- To disconnect service, you will need to call   Columbia Gas   a minimum of 3 days before the requested shut off date
Time Warner Cable
1135 South Main St., Suite 210
Bowling Green, Ohio, 43402
- A visit to the office is your best bet for service - often the 800 number rings busy for cable television service
- Highly competentant and punctual technitians for installation and trouble-shooting
- Provides extremely competitave cable television pacages including digital & HD channels
- Offers a varity of high-speed internet solution including Road Runner, AOL Broadband, and Earthlink High-speed internet/cable television package discount